Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tom Selleck - Jesse Stone

Tom Selleck - Jesse Stone

I never got to see Robert B. Parker's, Chief Jesse Stone made-for -TV movies when they first were aired by CBS. Luckily, my local Public Library has recently obtained the first three in DVD and I've been treating myself using my library card. It's been a while since I've seen Selleck better in a role, especially at this stage in his career. His portrayal of the flawed, chief of police in Paradise, Mass. is exceptional. Written in his face in these films, is the dark soul and dry wit that are bottled up inside the character. There is a lot going on in the guts of this man and in the 90 minutes, Selleck sells it to the viewer. ( Also a pretty damn good crime drama too.)

I believe all four are out in DVD; Stone Cold, Night Passage, Death in Paradise, and Sea Change. I hear that CBS will be airing the fifth "Thin Ice" in 2009 and a sixth "No Remorse" is in the works. I've learned my lesson, I will not miss those two when they first come out.

"Jesse sat for a long time in the darkness looking at the ocean and rain. In clear weather the eastern sky would be pale by now and in another half hour or so, this time of year, it would be light. Jesse turned on the headlights and backed the car up and headed back down the hill to shower and change and put on his badge." -from "Trouble in Paradise"

10 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Always been an underrated actor, hasn't he?

David Cranmer said...

I own all these movies on dvd and missed them the first time around myself. I think it's Selleck and Robert B. at their best.

August West said...

I get the feeling that this series is very important to Selleck. Besides being executive producer and continuing with more episodes, you can see it in the quality of the production. The cinematography that captures the town of Paradise is fantastic- dark, raining, almost gloomy at times. And it balances the violence with really what this is all about -the depiction of the characters in the story. (just like the the fine novels)

I'm glad I started watching these DVDs.

David Cranmer said...

Yes, the cinematography really sets the tone, and it's that quiet, understated approach that really elevates this series.

Anonymous said...

These aren't bad movies, but for anyone who's read the books Selleck is WAY too old to play Stone. By at least 20 years.

Abe Lucas said...

I've enjoyed the Jesse Stone movies and was particularly impressed with "Night Passage", which showed just how down and out the character was.

Great blog you have here.

August West said...

Thanks C.K.

I enjoy the films and the character (in the book and Selleck's representation) also.

Gary Dobbs/Jack Martin said...

I'll have to check these out myself - Now that Selleck has aged he looks much more rugged and real.He's done some nice westerns lately.

Juri said...

He was the first nominated actor to be Indiana Jones, wasn't he?

August West said...

Juri: I believe you are right. You have a great memory.

Always loved Selleck in "Quigley Down Under" and in Elmore Leonard's "Last Stand at Saber River." But the Jesse Stone role is a fine performance.